One of the definitions of the word "capstone" is a crowning achievement. The TCED final capstone report provides participants with an opportunity to conduct a project which they consider to be the crowning achievement of their Tennessee Certified Economic Developer experience.
Participants apply the knowledge gained through the TCED course work to address a substantial challenge or opportunity related to economic and community development impacting their community or organization. The capstone project gives participants the opportunity to contribute to the knowledge-base of the profession while also contributing to their community or organization.
Capstone projects consist of two major components:
- Report (10- 15 pages)
- Presentation (5 minutes)
Eligibility – May begin process after successful completion of the TBEDC and four of the six TCED core courses.
Time to Completion – Most Capstone Projects are completed in two to six months.
Project Eligibility – Participants may select a new project or a project conducted within the final year of TCED course work. The topic a participant selects should be a project they are passionate about implementing in their organization or community.
TCED Capstone Process At-a-Glance
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2017):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2017):
- Should Select Tennessee Expand to Include Investment in Buildings - Leanne Cox, TCEcD
- The Way Back Up - Stacey Kidd, TCEcD
- Travel Tourism and Economic Development in Tellico Plains, TN – Gregory Newman, TCEcD
- Can a Foreign Alliance Center for Tennessee be Self Sustaining in Knoxville – Kathryne Ogrod, TCEcD
- Strategic Planning In Benton County, TN – Amanda Paschall, TCEcD
- The Economic Impact of Festivals on Small Towns – Gwen Shelton, TCEcD
- Issues and Challenges of Local Government Supporting a Development Project of Regional Importance - Barrett M. Stevens, TCEcD
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Tennessee Downtowns Program – Nancy Williams , TCEcD
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2016):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2016):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2015):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2015):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2014):
- Revitalizing Rural Tennessee's ECD Efforts by Amy New, TCEcD
- Role of Universities in ECD-UTM and City of Martin by Brad Thompson, TCEcD
- Creating an Economic Opportunity for an Economically Depressed City with a Vacant Industrial Park by Darrell Williams, TCEcD
- Lewisburg Takes the Silver by Greg Lowe, TCEcD
- The Renaissance of Downtown White Bluff by Jeff Martin, TCEcD
- Brushy Mountain Distillery by Lisa Rutherford, TCEcD
- Aviation Park I by Mark Canty, TCEcD
- The Digital Hub, Job Development in Wayne County by Rena Purdy, TCEcD
- The Revolving Loan Program by Wallace Austin, TCEcD
Forms and Guidelines
Detailed Capstone guidelines can be downloaded here or by clicking on the file below.
Capstone Project Requirements Final 6-14.pdf
The Application for Capstone Project form can be downloaded here or by clicking on the file below.
Tennessee Certified Economic Developer Application for Capstone.pdf