Participants apply the knowledge gained through the TCED course work to address a substantial challenge or opportunity related to economic and community development impacting their community or organization. The Capstone Project gives participants the opportunity to contribute to the knowledge-base of the profession while also contributing to their community or organization.
Capstone Projects consist of two major components:
- Report (10- 15 pages)
- Presentation (5 minutes)
Eligibility – May begin process after successful completion of the TBEDC and four of the six TCED core courses.
Time to Completion – Most Capstone Projects are completed in two to six months.
Project Eligibility – Participants may select a new project or a project conducted within the final year of TCED course work. The topic a participant selects should be a project they are passionate about implementing in their organization or community.
TCED Capstone Process At-a-Glance
Forms and Guidelines
Click here for Capstone Project Guidelines
Click here for TCED Application for Capstone Project
Questions or more information about the Capstone Projects:
Contact Martha Kelley, Capstone Coordinator at (615) 532-3012 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As of February 2017, the TCED Advisory Board voted to enforce a two-year maximum for TCED candidates to complete the Capstone Program after finishing course work. After the last TCED course is completed, TCED candidates will have two years to finish the Capstone process. Those TCED graduates who have completed all courses before 2017 will be "grandfathered in" by enforcing the two-year completion rate beginning July 1, 2018. In other words, TCED candidates who have completed all course work and are in the Capstone Project phase will be expected to graduate by July 1, 2020.
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2019):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2018):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2018):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2017):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2017):
- Should Select Tennessee Expand to Include Investment in Buildings - Leanne Cox, TCEcD
- The Way Back Up - Stacey Kidd, TCEcD
- Travel Tourism and Economic Development in Tellico Plains, TN – Gregory Newman, TCEcD
- Can a Foreign Alliance Center for Tennessee be Self Sustaining in Knoxville – Kathryne Ogrod, TCEcD
- Strategic Planning In Benton County, TN – Amanda Paschall, TCEcD
- The Economic Impact of Festivals on Small Towns – Gwen Shelton, TCEcD
- Issues and Challenges of Local Government Supporting a Development Project of Regional Importance - Barrett M. Stevens, TCEcD
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Tennessee Downtowns Program – Nancy Williams , TCEcD
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2016):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2016):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2015):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Spring 2015):
TCED Alumni Capstone Projects (Fall 2014):
- Revitalizing Rural Tennessee's ECD Efforts by Amy New, TCEcD
- Role of Universities in ECD-UTM and City of Martin by Brad Thompson, TCEcD
- Creating an Economic Opportunity for an Economically Depressed City with a Vacant Industrial Park by Darrell Williams, TCEcD
- Lewisburg Takes the Silver by Greg Lowe, TCEcD
- The Renaissance of Downtown White Bluff by Jeff Martin, TCEcD
- Brushy Mountain Distillery by Lisa Rutherford, TCEcD
- Aviation Park I by Mark Canty, TCEcD
- The Digital Hub, Job Development in Wayne County by Rena Purdy, TCEcD
- The Revolving Loan Program by Wallace Austin, TCEcD